Washington, Nov. 28 – The Presidents of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Rwanda are expected in Washington next week to sign a peace agreement and hold talks with U.S. President Donald Trump, diplomatic sources said on Tuesday.
The meeting, scheduled for Dec. 4, will advance U.S. efforts to facilitate peace in eastern Congo and promote Western investment in the region’s mineral sector.
The date was confirmed by two diplomatic officials and Ms. Tina Salama, spokesperson for Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi.
The Washington talks will enable both leaders to ratify a U.S.-brokered peace deal concluded in June and a Regional Economic Integration Framework agreed earlier in November.
Salama said Tshisekedi remains committed to regional integration but noted that respect for sovereignty is essential.
The Trump administration has proposed supporting billions of dollars in Western investment in the Great Lakes region, which is rich in cobalt, copper, gold, tantalum and lithium.
In September, Congo and Rwanda agreed to implement, before year-end, key security measures contained in the June peace deal.
These include joint operations against the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) and steps to enable the withdrawal of Rwandan troops from Congolese territory. However, progress has been limited.
Rwanda denies backing the M23 rebel group, but a July report by United Nations experts stated that Kigali maintains command and control over the rebels.
Meanwhile, Qatar has hosted separate talks between the Congolese government and M23. This month, both sides endorsed a framework agreement for a future peace deal, though substantial issues remain unresolved.
Tshisekedi, addressing members of the Congolese diaspora in Serbia, confirmed he would travel to Washington.
He reiterated that Rwandan forces must leave eastern Congo before genuine regional economic integration can be achieved.



